Motorist Should Expect Snow Squalls
PennDOT URGES MOTORISTS TO USE EXTRA CAUTION DURING SNOW SQUALLS
PennDOT is asking drivers to slow down, pay attention and use extra caution on area roadways, especially during snow squalls possible in the region today.
Motorists should always be alert for sudden snow squalls which can strike with little or no warning and quickly cause roads to become snow covered. Heavy squalls can also cause whiteout conditions, virtually eliminating a driver’s visibility.
If motorists do encounter snow squalls while traveling, PennDOT offers this advice:
* Slow down gradually and drive at a speed that suits the conditions.
* Turn on your headlights.
* Stay in your lane.
* Increase your following distance.
* Stay alert, keep looking as far ahead as possible and be patient.
* Reduce in-car distractions since your full attention is required.
* Use defroster and wipers.
* Keep windows and mirrors free of snow and ice.
* During whiteouts, come to a complete stop only when you can safely get as far off the road as possible or when there is a safe area to do so.
* Do not stop in the flow of traffic since this could create a chain-reaction collision.
* Do not pass a vehicle moving slowly or speed up to get away from a vehicle that is following too closely.
* Always buckle up and never drink and drive.
* * *
PennDOT District 3-0
public information officer