homepage logo

Multiple people face a variety of charges

By Staff | Jul 22, 2020

In a DUI case before Judge Whiteman, Nichole Bohart, 31, of 91 O’Dell Road, Muncy, was stopped by Montoursville Patrolman Kurt Hockman after the woman ran a blinking red traffic light at Loyalsock Avenue and Claire Road about 1:45 a.m. on March 13. She also was traveling 10 mph over the posted speed limit, the officer said.

“I could smell an odor of an alcoholic beverage” in the vehicle, Hockman

said, adding that he spotted two open beer bottles on the passenger floor,

and after a passenger raised both bottles, the officer could see that they were

about half full.

Bohart’s eyes were red and glassy, Hockman said. She admitted to

having “one drink after work,” the officer said. The woman’s blood-alcohol content level was .15, Hockman said. Charged with DUI, Bohart is free on $5,000 bail.

In another case, Robert Hunter, 65, of 528 Ruben Kehrer Road, lot 68, waived his preliminary hearing before Whiteman on a state police charge of hindering apprehension or prosecution of a fugitive, his granddaughter, Nicole Hunter.

The incident occurred at his home on the afternoon of Nov. 10 after state troopers received a tip that the woman was on the premises. They had been there earlier and warned Hunter to contact them if she showed up, Trooper Erik Barlett said.

When troopers came to his front door a second time, Hunter told them that Nicole had left the state, but she was nabbed as she was exiting a back door and taken into custody, Barlett said. Court records did not say what warrants had been filed against her. Robert Hunter is free on $5,000 bail.

In Hughesville, borough Patrolman Andrew Boyer has charged city resident Francis Fredin Jr., 33, of 523 Arch St., with accidents involving damage to attended vehicle and careless driving following a hit-run crash in the 100 block of South Main Street about 6:30 p.m. on May 14.

Boyer said Fredin crashed into the rear of a vehicle driven by Meredith Anderson, causing extensive damage. Fredin handed Anderson an insurance card with his mother’s name on it, but then drove off, Boyer said. He has been sent a summons to appear before District Judge Jon E. Kemp.

Also out of Kemp’s office, Muncy Patrolman Raymond Kontz III has charged motorist James Vanness II, 28, of 23 N. Main St., Muncy, with DUI, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving with a suspended license after Vanness was caught driving the wrong way down a one-way street at Green and Noble alleys in the borough about 5:20 p.m. on June 13. When he saw him, Kontz knew Vanness’ driver’s license was suspended due to a previous DUI conviction. Following his arraignment before Kemp, Vanness was jailed in lieu of $25,000 bail.

During the weekend, District Magistrate Solomon arraigned George Randall Jr., 37, of 528 Ruben Kehrer Road, Muncy, who was jailed on state police charges of strangulation, simple assault, recklessly endangering and harassment after he allegedly slammed a male juvenile to the ground and put him “in a choke-like hold,” Trooper Andrew Dalkiewicz

wrote in an affidavit.

The alleged assault occurred in the 500 block of Ruben Kehrer Road

about 9:15 p.m. Sunday, the trooper said. Randall told the minor “I’m about to (expletive) you up,” according to what Dalkiewicz was told. The victim said that while he was in the choke hold, he couldn’t breathe. Randall was jailed in lieu of $25,0000 bail.

A driver charged with driving under the influence of marijuana was Heather Young, 41, of 6 W. Plaza Drive, lot 45, Hughesville, who was stopped by state Trooper Anthony Mazzone on Route 405 in Wolf Township about 9:30 p.m. on Feb. 25 because she failed to use her turn signal and she had both an expired registration plate and a burned out tail light. At first Young told Mazzone that she had smoked marijuana “earlier in the day,” but then changed her story and said

she “smoked within the last two hours,” according to court records. She has been sent a summons to appear before District Judge Jon Kemp.

In another case, motorist Jenna Matthews, 27, of 152 Boak Ave., lot 8, Hughesville, also admitted she had smoked marijuana “earlier in the evening” after state Trooper Robert Jacobs stopped her 1993 Chevrolet pickup truck at Orchard Avenue and Mohawk Drive in Wolf Township about 12: 30 a.m. on Feb. 27. Jacobs said he pulled her over because she had failed to use a turn signal and also because of a wire that was hanging from underneath the truck. The

trooper detected an odor of marijuana coming from the truck, and that the driver appeared “dazed.” A blood test confirmed marijuana in Matthews’ system, Jacobs said. She, too, has been sent a summons to appear before Kemp.

Another motorist, Floyd Hulsizer III, 42, of Milton, was believed to be under the influence ofmarijuana when he crashed his 2003 Subaru Legacy into a guardrail on Interstate 180 East near the Pennsdale interchange about 12:40 p.m. onMay 8, state Trooper Peter Dunchick said in court papers. Hulsizer claimed that he was run off the road by another motorist, but another driver, Timothy

Conrad, said that Hulsizer passed him at what he thought was “115 mph” and that Hulsizer was “all over the road,” Dunchick wrote in an affidavit. Conrad said that moments later, “debris was

flying in the air” and he soon came upon Hulsizer’s crashed vehicle. Hulsizer, who refused to provide a blood sample, has been charged with DUI of a controlled substance and careless driving. This was his

second DUI charge.He has been sent a summons to appear before the judge.

A domestic disturbance on Saturday night, July 4, landed Kyle Barnes, 25, of Philadelphia, behind bars after he grabbed a Hughesville police officer’s shirt and allegedly pushed him down a flight of stairs in a home on South Third Street in the borough, according to court records. Barnes allegedly struggled with Patrolmen Ryan Travelpiece and Calvin Irvin as the two officers were attempting to get control of him at 156 S. Third St. about 8:45 p.m. As Irwin was bringing Barnes down a set of stairs, “Barnes kept pulling away from him,” Travelpiece wrote in an affidavit.

Travelpiece, upon entering house, ascended the stairway to help Irvin get control of Barnes, but Barnes “pulled away from Irvin and I grabbed a hold of him. Barnes grabbed me with both hands by the chest area of my shirt and shoved me towards the bottom of the stairs,” the officer wrote in an affidavit.

“I told Barnes to let go of me and tried to take his hands off me. However, I could hear my shirt ripping,” Travelpiece said in the court document.’

Once the three men were at the bottom of the steps, Barnes continued to struggle with the officers as they worked to handcuff him. Police had been called to the home because Barnes and his brother had been fighting. The two men were struggling with one another when officers arrived on the scene.

Irwin was attempting to remove Barnes from the second floor when Barnes had the confrontation with the officers, Travelpiece said. Irvin suffered a laceration to the right elbow, Travelpiece said.

Following his arraignment before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on charges of aggravated assault and resisting arrest, Barnes was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $35,000 bail.