homepage logo

Fire displaces family

By Staff | Mar 16, 2010

A kitchen fire on Carpenter Street late Tuesday afternoon left a family of four homeless, according to Muncy Township Fire Chief Greg Delany.

When Corinna Johnson arrived home just before 4 p.m., she discovered smoke pouring from the front door at 217 Carpenter St., Delany said. She immediately called 911.

Delany said a pan of food had been left burning on the stove, igniting a fire that extensively damaged the kitchen as well as causing a considerable amount of heat and smoke damage throughout the building.

There were no injuries in the fire, which was brought under control in about 10 minutes. No one was home at the time of the fire.

Johnson, and her husband, Tyrone, along with the couple’s two children, were receiving emergency shelter and assistance from the local chapter of the American Red Cross, Delany said. Damage was estimated at about $35,000.

In addition to the township, volunteer firefighters from Muncy, Pennsdale and Picture Rocks responded to the scene.