homepage logo

Man rescues disabled wife from burning home

By Staff | Feb 12, 2013

ELIMSPORT – A man rescued his disabled wife from their burning home off of Gap Road on Thursday night, Feb. 7 after the couch in their living room caught fire, according to Washington Township Fire Chief Jim Raemsch.

The fire located on a private lane in the 3000 block of Gap Road, about three miles west of here, was caused by a dropped cigarette, Raemsch said.

Some neighbors also helped the husband get his wife out safely when the fire broke out about 6:40 p.m., Raemsch said. He did not have the identities of the couple, who rented the property from Kevin Bailey, who lives nearby.

The structure was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived on the scene, Raemsch said. In addition to Washington Township, firefighters from Clinton Township, Montgomery and Warrior Run battled the fire, which burned out of control for nearly 90 minutes.

There were no reports of injuries. “Everything was a total loss,” Raemsch said. It was believed that the couple was staying with relatives or friends.