homepage logo

Couple left homeless after fire

By Staff | Mar 26, 2013

MONTGOMERY – A gas worker and his wife were left homeless last Wednesday afternoon after a fire destroyed their fifth-wheel camper on Fredna Avenue in Clinton Township, according to fire officials.

Fire ripped through the camper very quickly after the owner discovered flames around the furnace about 2:30 p.m., township Fire Chief Todd Winder said.

The couple, whose names were not available, along with their dog already were out of the camper at 157 Fredna Ave. when firefighters arrived on the scene, Winder said.

Firefighters were hampered in making an aggressive attack because of three propane tanks at the rear of the camper. Two of the “tanks had vented,” Winder said, meaning that flames were shooting from them.

The camper’s roof soon began to buckle, Winder said. The fire was declared under control just before 3 p.m.

The local chapter of the American Red Cross was assisting the couple, who were staying with friends, Winder said.

The gas worker’s employer was already making arrangements to find housing for him, Winder said. The victims had fire insurance.

A state police fire marshal was expected to be at the scene today.

Concerning another fire call, this one in Armstrong Township, volunteer firefighters were dispatched to the Chad Lee Trailer Park at 131 Chad Lee Drive to investigate a possible electrical fire about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday.

The situation was minor and could be handled with one apparatus crew, according to reports at the scene.