homepage logo

Couple escapes late-night fire

By Staff | Jul 8, 2013

MUNCY – Josh Yeagle and his girlfriend safely escaped their upstairs apartment on Glade Run Road on Monday, July 1 after discovering a small fire in the garage below, according to Muncy area fire officials.

The fire at 89 Glade Run Road, about three miles east of here, was discovered about 11:30 p.m.

“There already was a moderate amount of smoke coming from the garage as well as the apartment when volunteer firefighters arrived on the scene,” Greg Delany, assistant fire chief said.

Fast action by the firefighters prevented the flames from reaching the attached home of Yeagle’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Yeagle, although some smoke entered the residence, Delany said.

Most of the fire was knocked down within 10 to 15 minutes according to reports. In addition to Muncy Area, firefighters from Hughesville, Pennsdale and Picture Rocks also responded to the scene.

Cpl. Nicolas A. Loffredo, a state police fire marshal, inspected the scene hours later. “There is nothing suspicious about the fire,” he said.

Investigators believe the fire started in the front corner of the two-car garage, where a car battery was located, he said.

Although damage to the garage was estimated at in excess of $20,000, the son and his girlfriend should be able to move back into the apartment in a matter of days, investigators said.