Carbon monoxide poisoning
ELIMSPORT – A young woman, a man and three children were found dead due to carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday about 11:45 a.m. at a cabin at 405 Gap Road in rural Washington Township, according to Capt. David Young of state police Troop F in Montoursville.
The victims were discovered by the owner of the property who had hosted the party of five overnight after a friendly get-together. The man, whose name was not released by state police, had slept in his truck outside the cabin and found the bodies upon waking.
State trooper Angela Bieber said a propane fueled heat source that was not properly ventilated was running inside the cabin overnight. Blood tests of the victims revealed toxic levels of carbon monoxide. Bieber said the deaths do not appear to be suspicious.
State police identified two of the victims as Jacqueline R. Stackhouse, 23, of New Columbia, and her 3-year-old son. The other three were Nathan L. Reece, 30, of Muncy, and two young girls, one 4 years old, and the other 9 years old. The identities of the latter two were not immediately released.
The relationships between the victims still is not known, Young said.
“It was a hysterical scene, especially for the parents of some of the victims,” Young said about notifying the victims’ next of kin, many of whom could be scene near the cabin, as public safety vehicles and various cars lined the long, dirt road that extends from Gap Road to the 10- by 16-foot cabin.
All five victims were pronounced dead at the scene, state police said.
First responders from Clinton Township and Warrior Run also assisted at the site of the deaths.