homepage logo

$500,000 bail for robbery suspect

By Staff | Sep 2, 2014

HUGHESVILLE – A former Williamsport man was brought back here last Sunday night from North Carolina to face felony and misdemeanor charges for allegedly robbing a clerk at the Uni-Mart on North Main Street in early December, according to borough police.

After waiving extradition, Deontae Davis, 18, allegedly threatened to kill the clerk during the robbery that occurred about 8:30 p.m. on Dec. 5, police said.

No one was injured in the holdup that netted the bandit about $320. The robbery was captured on a store’s video camera, police said.

The investigation led police to 634 Campbell St. in Williamsport, where Davis was reportedly staying with a relative. After obtaining a warrant to search the premises, police seized clothing they believe the man was wearing during the holdup.

Police also responded to another city home, this one on Wildwood Boulevard, where they spoke with a woman who was living there at the time.

The woman told police that Davis came to her home just before 10 p.m. on the night of the robbery. He had with him “a bunch of money,” police said.

When the woman asked Davis where he got the money, he offered her $100 and told her to “keep her mouth shut,” according to an affidavit filed by Patrolman David E. Williams.

Officers visited a third city residence, this one at the Newberry Estates, where Davis was known to stay. A woman there said she had been missing a black pellet gun since Davis had visited the apartment, police said. There was no information in the court papers that indicated how soon police went to these city properties after the robbery.

No information was available about when and where Davis was captured in North Carolina.

Following his arraignment before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on charges of robbery, aggravated and simple assault, terroristic threats, theft and receiving stolen property, Davis was committed to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $500,000 bail.