homepage logo

Heroin abuse led to a string of breakins

By Staff | Oct 22, 2015

MUNCY – Driven by his heroin addiction, a 28-year-old Muncy Creek Township man allegedly burglarized or attempted to break into four businesses in the borough as well as the Veterans of Foreign War Post on North Market Street, according to borough police.

Joseph Charles Little, of 180 Heatherbrooke Estates, is accused of breaking into the Mulan Restaurant at 9 N. Washington St., overnight Sept. 1 and stealing $500 from a register, police said.

Little’s alleged actions were recorded by closed-circuit video inside the business, police said, adding that he used a hammer to smash a window to get inside.

Little is alleged to have committed the four other crimes during the early-morning hours of Oct. 1, according to Patrolman Anthony Oeler, the lead investigator in the case.

As he did at Mulan’s, Little used a hammer to smash out a window so that he could enter the Main Street Grill at 12 S. Main St., Oeler alleged. Little opened a register, but it was empty, the officer said.

It is alleged that Little attempted to break into the business next door, Smoker’s Express, by kicking the rear door three times, Oeler said in an affidavit. A closed-circuit video recorded the alleged actions, the officer said.

Closed-circuit video inside the VFW Post also recorded Little smashing a back door to get inside, Oeler said. The same video showed him forcing open several cash drawers that were empty, the officer alleged in the affidavit.

Using a crowbar, Little tried to get into the Fort Brady Hotel 18 N. Main St., Oeler said.

Jailed on a probation violation since Oct. 2, Little said in a prison interview with police that he “messed up real badly,” that he was addicted to heroin and that he “needed to feed his sickness,” Oeler said. The inmate admitted to his involvement in the crimes, the officer said.

Little was arraigned this week before District Judge Jon E. Kemp on five counts of burglary, four counts of possession of an instrument of crime, three counts each of felony trespassing, theft and criminal mischief and one count of receiving stolen property. He was recommitted to the Lycoming County Prison in lieu of $200,000 bail.