homepage logo

Lit firework destroys home on Kepner Hill Road

By Staff | Apr 4, 2018

MUNCY – State police are asking the public’s help in trying to determine who was responsible for shooting or throwing a lit firework at a property in the 500 block of Kepner Hill Road on Friday night, resulting in fire damage to a house.

Someone “ignited a firework (inside) a vehicle, causing fire damage to the victim’s home,” Trooper William Reynolds said.

The fire was reported just before 8 p.m., according to Muncy Area Fire Chief James Michael. He said no one was injured and only minor damage resulted.

Reynolds said police have termed the fire “criminal mischief.” Anyone with information is asked to call state police at 570-368-5700.

Michael said firefighters also were dispatched to two brush fires later Friday night, one on Glade Run Road and another on Turner Hill Road, that may be related to fireworks activity.

“Neighbors saw flashes and heard bangs,” Michael said, but “we weren’t able to confirm that fireworks were involved.”

Warrior Run Area Fire Chief Doug Funk said his fire company handled three brush fires between 9 and 10:30 p.m. Friday. Two of the fires, just 100 yards apart, occurred on South Creek Road in Gregg Township, each burning a half an acre.

Another one occurred on Route 44 near Dewart. Funk said investigators have not found any evidence of fireworks involved.

“The investigation is still open,” he said, adding that a state police fire marshal “has been notified.”

Back in Lycoming County, Michael said farmer Jay Snyder and his wife were temporarily displaced by what was believed to be an accidental fire Sunday afternoon at their property at 203 J Snyder Road in Moreland Township.

Sparks from an outdoor woodstove ignited a cord of wood and quickly spread to a shed about 3:40 p.m., Michael said.

“We were dispatched to a shed fire. When I arrived, the building was on fire and there was a heavy wind blowing the fire against the back of the house,” Michael said, adding he ordered a second alarm.

“Soon, the rear of the house was on fire,” he said.

Volunteer firefighters were successful in stopping the flames from reaching the inside of the house.

“There was some minor smoke damage in the home. Most of the fire was on the exterior,” Michael said.

PPL had to cut the power to the house. The Snyders were expected to be back home once the power was restored, Michael added.

Muncy firefighters also responded to a home in the 100 block of East Water Street to investigate a possible chimney fire after a woman called 911 about 7:20 p.m. Monday and reported smoke was filling her house, Michael said.

It turned out the smoke was coming from a small fire in a trash can in her kitchen, Michael said.

It was easily extinguished without incident. There was no damage to the home.