homepage logo

Same Side

By Staff | Nov 5, 2008

Dear Editor,

By the time of this letter the election will have been decided but whatever the outcome, I must respond to the letter several weeks ago claiming pro-life without actually being pro-life.

I’m glad the letter-writer has Colin Powell as his spiritual advisor, but personally I feel much better knowing I’m on the same side as the Pope, Mother Theresa and Mother Angelica–just to name a few, as well as the leaders of many Protestant and Jewish faiths.

Pro-life specifically refers to protecting and respecting all life–innocent unborn babies, as well as the handicapped and the elderly. I reject the insinuation that ProLife people care only about abortion to the detriment of all other issues. It’s silly to assume that pro-life exists on one side and all the other social issues on the other, when independent polls show that people who are conservative and prolife give of time and money to all social issues at a level twice that of those who are not.

In fact, being Pro-life is a good indicator of one’s character as generally, family values, and care for the underprivileged go hand in hand with same.

Sadly enough, there are millions of abortions done every year in this country alone (according to Planned Parenthood’s own information) and only an estimated 3-5 percent are done for issues of rape, incest, or severe deformity of the baby. What about the other 95 percent?

If one is truely concerned with the poor little child abused by incest or rape it would be far better to report the crime and punish the perpetrator rather than to simply get rid of the “evidence” and send her back to the abuse–which is exactly what is happening. In many states Planned Parenthood is under indictment for failing to report the sexual abuse of underage girls, preferring instead to aid and abet the criminal by erasing the “evidence” of his crime. How does this help the victim of these crimes?

One recent prominent case is of a school coach who impregnated his 14 year old student, then took her to the abortion clinic without her parent’s knowledge or consent. This girl and many others are victims and should be protected from those who would expoit them. We never “point fingers” at women and girls who find themselves in difficult situations, but instead at the Pregnancy Care Centers that exist just to give them all the help and encouragement they need.

By the time of this letter the election will have been decided, but whatever the outcome, the prolife movement is not going to quit and we will keep trying to promote a culture of life, where everyone feels welcomed into this beautiful world our GOD has created for us.

Judy Tamagno