homepage logo

Hughesville Home Consumed by Flames

By Staff | Feb 21, 2009

The property of 150 South Third Street, Hughesville was gutted by flames Friday evening. (Knier)

The family of Gerald and Heather Grossnickle and their 16-year-old daughter were not home at the time flames erupted in the front room of their residence about 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Fire extensively damaged the two-story dwelling at 150 South Third Street, Hughesville, but flames were mostly contained to a front room of the building.

The property is adjacent to the Hughesville Friends Church.

Heave smoke and water damage to the top floors make the house inhabitable, said representatives of Erie Insurance, who were on hand Saturday afternoon, inspecting the house for the source of original and determining total value of property loss.

It is not known where the family was living while in flux.

Volunteer firefighters from the borough, Picture Rocks, Clarkstown and Pennsdale responded to the fire, which was declared under control in about 20 minutes.

There were no reports of injuries.