Old Immanuel Lutheran Church celebrates 145 years with memorial service
The Rev. Cinda Brucker, pastor of Trinity and Mount Zion Lutheran Churches, will be the officiant at the Annual Memorial Service at Old Immanuel Lutheran Church, Lime Bluff Road, Muncy, on June 8 at 3 p.m. The theme of the service will be “Connected through Baptism” and will take place, in part, in the historic cemetery connected with the church.
Pastor Brucker is currently serving from Trinity Lutheran Church, Hughesville. During its lifetime, Old Immanuel gave rise to 19 other Lutheran congregations. Trinity is one of these “children” of Old Immanuel.
Old Immanuel is considered to be the mother church of Lutheranism in Lycoming County. Founded in 1791, it lived until its doors shut permanently in 1920. The first structure built on the property was of log; the second and third (and remaining) structures were of brick.
The current building, dedicated in 1869, is observing its 145th anniversary this year. At least 10 Revolutionary Soldiers, in addition to early settlers of this area, are buried in the historic cemetery. The church was built on land donated by Henry and Barbara Shoemaker, of Shoemaker Mills at the Routes 442/405 intersection.
A portion of the service will also remember the late John L. Bruch Jr., who served on the Board of Directors of Old Immanuel from 1959 to his death in November of 2013.
The public is invited to attend this service as well as to tour the historic church. Light refreshments will be served after the service. For more information, or to follow Old Immanuel more closely, “Like” us on FaceBook!!!