Lions to recognize 60 years of service
MONTGOMERY – The Montgomery Lions Club will hold their 60th Charter night at the Clinton Township Fire Company banquet hall in Montgomery on Saturday, February 20, 2016.The Montgomery Lions Club began their 60th year of service on July 2015. The club was sponsored and chartered November 1955 by the Montoursville Lions club and held their first Charter night on February 8, 1956 at the Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Businessman W.C. Young was the first President of the first 34 charter members. The first meeting was held at the old post office on Main Street, Montgomery. The club has been very active in the community for the past 60 years. The club has also sponsored 2 other clubs, one in Muncy and the other in Coudersport, Pa -a Lioness and Leo club in Montgomery.
Today the club still has 34 members although the club hit a high of 56 members in the 1970’s,when the club bought the old PA liquor store for a meeting room. They still meet there today with meetings on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday nights of each month.
Lion Doug Engleman will lead the club thru season 2015 and 2016 it is Lion Doug’s third time with the gavel. Other officers include: Lion Larry Grove, first Vice President; Lion Norman Kobbe, second Vice President; Lion Silvana Mancine, third Vice President; Lion Robert West, Treasurer; and Lion Dave Stahl, Secretary
The club’s main fund raising project is the annual auction, Sauerkraut dinner and sales. In the 14G District, the Montgomery Lions Club is known as “The Sauerkraut Club” because each year they make 60 barrels of kraut and pack over 2500 gallons for sale throughout the county and the state. The Sauerkraut project started in 1958 with 1 barrel. Proceeds from all fundraisers go to benefit local needs of the community and the blind and deaf through Lions International.
For more information contact Norman Kobbe chair of the 60th year celebration at 570-547-2873,82 Snaurytown Rd Montgomery, PA 17752 or email at email@example.com.