Muncy church to host Fitzwilliam String Quartet concert
MUNCY – Britain’s world-renowned ensemble, the Fitzwilliam String Quartet, will perform a concert at Saint James Episcopal Church in Muncy on Sunday, February 5, at 2:00 p.m. The quartet, which was founded at Cambridge University in 1968, is famous for its performances and recordings of the string quartets of Dmitri Shostokovich, with whom they worked closely in England and in Russia. The quartet is also celebrated for its performances using period instruments.
For more than fifty years, the Fitzwilliam String Quartet is among the longest established string quartets in the world. The current line-up combines founding member violist Alan George with a new generation of performers.
International recognition came early for FSQ, as the first group to record and perform all fifteen of Shostakovich’s string quartets, drawing on the players’ personal connection with the composer. Today, the FSQ performs a wide and diverse range of music from the late 17th century to the present day. It remains one of the few quartets to play on both historical and modern instrument set-ups and has brought over 50 new works to the repertoire.
The FSQ has performed regularly across Britain, Europe, North America, the Far East, and Southern Africa, as well as making many award winning recordings for Decca, Linn, and Divine Art Records.
The Muncy program will be an all-Schubert concert, including the String Quartet in D minor “Death and the Maiden,” and the Quartettensatz in C minor. With free admission, this is a rare opportunity to see some of the finest musicians in the world in a wonderfully intimate and acoustically appealing pre-Victorian/Civil War Era Gothic revival church designed by Richard Upjohn.
Serving the Muncy Community since 1797, St James Episcopal Church is the oldest living parish in Lycoming County. It is located at 215 S. Main Street, Muncy. Sunday Services are at 10 a.m. and includes a children’s Sunday School. All are welcome. Phone: 570-546-6470. Reverend David P. Culbertson serves as Rector.