Preservation Group notes Frazier Bridge
LAIRDSVILLE – One of the few remaining covered bridges in Lycoming County and the only one on the eastern end, was noted Friday Sept 27 with an award by the Pennsylvania Historic Preservation Commission. As the county owns Frazier bridge in Moreland Township, the award was received at Pottstown by Lycoming County Transportation Planner Mark Murawski.
The 1888 bridge, located west of Lairdsville, was completely replaced in its original Burr Arch design.
On September 14, the bridge had been one of seven historic sites highlighted during Moreland Township’s bicentennial celebration.
During the event, visitors were invited to board horse drawn wagons for rides across the plank bottom bridge. Team and wagon owners Jesse Wagner and Randy Randall invited riders to close their eyes and listen to the clip-pity-clop of the hooves as they resounded throughout the structure.
Hundreds visited the site and among them were Lucy and Glen Temple, owners of lands surrounding the bridge. The Temples now own the farm his parents purchased about 1959.
On the 14th, the Temple’s 50th wedding anniversary coincided with the township’s 200th anniversary. Before leaving for an evening of celebration with their family, the couple posed for a snapshot behind at the photo-op area constructed especially for bicentennial day.
Of the thousands of covered bridges which once dotted the landscape, less than 900 remain nationwide. Having 211, the Keystone state is home to the largest number of any in the nation, according to a brochure published by the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges.